Garth Brooks, Christmas and My Dog, Russell

Russell waiting for his stick to be thrown.
I sit in my chair in the living room
Dominated by a scraggly tree
Decorated with dozens of ornaments
Collected over the years.
I hear the first chords of "Let It Snow"
Sung by Garth Brooks,
Played over my Sonos stereo,
And I'm transported back in time.
I'm running,
A Sony Discman held in my hand.
Snow falls softly
Cushioning thrum of tires
And engines propelling vehicles
On the roadway across the frozen spillway
From where I run.
My dog, Russell carries a stick
That he occasionally drops
Expecting my to throw it.
And a surge of loss sweeps over me.
Yet, I'm grateful
For all the years
Shared in his company.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rediscovering the Beautiful Art of Hanging Out

Memories, where do they go?

Flag Wavers